Can an employer offer a Settlement Agreement instead of a performance process?

Yes, a settlement agreement can either be offered by your employer, or suggested and negotiated by you or your professional adviser to bypass the performance process. This is often a sensible way to proceed for both parties especially if an employee would rather not go through then indignity of a performance procedure. The relationship is likely to have already been tested by the time a performance process has been requested by your employer. Indeed, in many cases, an employee is “set up to fail” the process, with unrealistic targets against a background of strained relationships.

Hence, an amicable settlement via a settlement agreement can be more beneficial to an employee in these circumstances.

Click here for the main performance at work page

Click here for the settlement agreement page

Back to Employment Law FAQ’s

Get in Touch